Saturday 2 August 2014

Where does my heart belong??

#Stopthınkrespect
-it's not only Aboriginals who face discrimination in Australia

Being born in Australia and being raised by parents who where born and raised with different cultural values to suit the country which they where in before arriving to Australia to start (escape) a "new life" has played a major impact on my own life.
My parents brought me up with their values which have been of an ethnic culture. I have continually struggled throughout my entire life searching for a place where I fit in. Asking myself questions such as what am I? Am I an Australian or does because of the way I have been brought up mean that I automatically belong to another raise in which way my parents have brought me up in?

I speak two languages, one of which I knew how to speak before the other, that being the ethnic background of my parents tongue before English.
Even as that being so, I've always made an effort with my peers to constantly say, when asked, that I am Australian because I was born in this country. I have associated myself with other like me (who have had similar upbringings) in my past and I have associated myself with people who would refer to themselves as being "true Australian" based on their families background being that they to where born and raised here as far back in relation to their great great greater mothers and fathers generations.

Now, in my family tree, I am what many would refer to as a "first generation Australian " because every person who was born before me in relation to my family history was born in another country other than Australia. So when I am referring to associating with people like me, this is what I mean.

Australian people don't like to class themselves as being racist due to its multi cultural diversity, however, my research into this matter begs to differ.
I have come to the conclusion, through my association with multiple cultural diversified peers, that the most racist of all cultural diversities found in Australia actually comes from those  who refer to themselves as "true Australians".

I personally think that unless you are of an aboriginal decent, you have no right to refer to yourself as being "a true Australian".  if your parents or patents parent migrated to Australia and gave birth to you on Australian soil that the term "1st, 2nd, 3rd.... Generation" Australian should be implied and made mandatory by governments as to eliminate confusion within any Australian so that future Australians can  ınstıll pride for being an Australian.

Being a 1st gen Aussie has been frustrating at best. If only I had known what to say to people when I was asked the question "what's your nationality?" when growing up, perhaps my life would have been different, more peaceful and harmonious, livıng and growing throughout life with others just like me (1st gen). Instead of constantly feeling emptiness due to having a lack of the sence of belonging, feeling banished or like I am being looked at differently, being treated differently just because my parents brought me up in the best way they knew how to (they're way).

Division amongst different cultures is prominent all around Australia, but its the division amongst the generations of Australians that cause the most problems, mostly psychological.

No comments:

Post a Comment